20i Domains

cryptocurrency

Discussion in 'The Bar' started by websaway, Jun 6, 2021.

1. signature

signature Well-Known Member Exclusive Member

If you have 30mins to spare, this is a good watch on Bitcoin.

2. Domain Forum

Acorn Domains Elite Member

articles.co.uk

3. JMI

JMI Active Member Acorn Supporter

Bitcoin is not a store of wealth or digital Gold - its fools Gold. Bitcoin tries to replicate the properties which make Gold unique as an an alternative to fiat currency. Its not a store of value, people only own it because they think its going to be worth more in the future but it has no intrinsic value!

You can look around and see that no business owner accepts Bitcoin as payment, they just convert them to pounds or dollars via Bitpay to try and pretend. There's nothing unique about it, there is no limit to the number of digital currencies that can be created (we already have over 10k) and why did everyone stop using Internet Explorer browser? Because of Chrome.

4. lazarus

lazarus Well-Known Member Exclusive Member

Wrong... 650 Billion Dollars says otherwise.

Tell me. What makes Gold so special as a store of wealth ? Why is is worth $2k per ounce?

5. sigh

sigh Active Member

• Like Like x 1
  6. JMI

Because Gold is 5000 year old trusted store of value, its got nothing to prove.

Your market cap quote has just proved how Bitcoin is not a store of value, going from 1.2 trillion peak in mid April to 645 billion today - 55% wiped of its value in a week and were not even close to done yet, probably will rally to $40k in the short term before tanking to $20k then sub $10k, charts and data don't lie everyone can see.

A lot of retail investors have be sold the dream crypto is the new digital Gold but like I said its fools Gold, but you can make money from Bitcoin if you got in really early and thats great but spare a though for those who bought in at $60k. Doge will be 0.10 soon too.

7. ian

ian Well-Known Member

But as a self acclaimed "whale" (LOL), why have you not sold if your beliefs are so strong that it doesn't have value and will dump soon?

8. JMI

I'm only a whale in shit coins like zeppelin dao and Bonfire. I hope I didn't come across as a troll as I want crypto to do well, I just don't like them being lumped in same categories as other commodities for marketing purposes and the fact you only ever hear about the upside and people need a reality check. I'm seriously underwater in Coinbase stock I should never have bought which seems basically tied to how well cryptos are doing (even thought the company is still very profitable as is) which is sideways at best at the moment. I want to see it recover, I think it will but might be in for a crypto winter..

9. Ben Thomas

Ben Thomas Well-Known Member

Lol, I had this problem understanding too. If you bought 1 BTC at £45k on Kraken, for example, did Kraken take your £45k, give you 1 BTC (but how did they get it?) and then make some money on top because of exchange fees. So your cash goes somewhere, but you trade it for 1 BTC which is worth the equivalent liquid at that time. It's like buying a Ferrari at the dealership for 100k and then driving it away, tomorrow it's worth 95k because the market sets the value.

But I'm very interested in where your cash goes from the exchange. How do exchanges provide BTC. Where does it come from? Surely someone somewhere has to mine that BTC to give to you. Or ???

10. lazarus

lazarus Well-Known Member Exclusive Member

Exchanges are just marketplaces for Buyers and Sellers. That's all there is to it really. They operate an order book.

Crypto Exchanges are the same as FTSE and NASDAQ are exchanges for Stock and Shares.

The current price of any asset is set by the last known bought or sold value. The price is determined by the market.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2021
  11. JMI

Last night I converted all my alt coins while they were still at a tiny profit to BTC and Eth only.

I did some research and punted on the Internet Computer Token looks promising.. you see I love crypto nearly as much as El Salvador :)

12. dee

dee Well-Known Member Acorn Supporter

Check out HNT aswell. Really good use case in terms of Helium Network being pretty disruptive tech. LoRa Network built by people rather than individual company and eventually passing data ....fleet trackers, sensors etc. Currently a 20 week wait for hardware and 5G data transfer in pipeline.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Jiblob United Kingdom

Jiblob Active Member

It's not a stupid question at all. The 20k went to the person that you bought the Bitcoins from, it's really that simple.