Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

Virgin broadband dead

Discussion in 'ISP' started by aquanuke, Dec 18, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. aZooZa

aZooZa Well-Known Member

Virgin's 8mb package offers a highly contended pool. You'll be lucky to achieve 3mb. It was on TV tonight. Best apparently is Sky. As far as 3G is concerned, I think Voda have good deals and cheap entry cost. My mobile is with them and I get 120mb of data for about £7/month so I can use my phone as a modem when I'm out and about. How that works abroad maybe another matter.

2. Domain Forum

Acorn Domains Elite Member

IWA Meetup

3. herghost

herghost Member

I am on the 20mb Virgin and apart from last night, I have to say I very rarely have a problem, usually runs at at least 17Mb/sec so cant complain, but I stress I am lucky. At my last address it was a pile of crap!

4. GreyWing

GreyWing Well-Known Member

This is mental, I had enough of Virgin and yesterday went to cancel. Gave them 30 days notice and said drop me to the 2 mb broadband so I can see out my contract.

The 2mb is faster than the 20mb I was paying for, I swear on my life the 2mb is like lightning.

Plus their call centre for tech support in India is useless, it's like talking to a 10 year old, you have to slow your speech down to walking speed and repeat everything 3 times.

Anyone know who is next best?

5. aZooZa

aZooZa Well-Known Member

Try Pipex. I've been with them for almost a decade - started out with their dial-up, then a leased 64k line, and now their broadband. Very satisfied.

6. olebean United Kingdom

olebean Well-Known Member

for my sins i still have AOL, although I have got BB cheaper than the advertised fees and over the last twelve months there has been no issue

7. aquanuke

aquanuke Well-Known Member

Is everyone else still having problems. TBH mine might as well be completely dead, I have to reboot the modem every 20 minutes and when it does go its as slow as hell :(

8. accelerator United Kingdom

accelerator Well-Known Member

My view is that Virgin targets the mainstream consumer, but there are other companies out there that are smaller and technically superior if you look hard enough. I always find the forums at thinkbroadband.com good for finding a good provider.

Rgds

Accelerator

9. GreyWing

How slow are Virgin at picking up namesever changes as well, takes upto 15 hours sometimes to change sistes even though whois shows details instantly.

Even my dial up shows it in around 2 minutes.

10. Jeewhizz

Jeewhizz Well-Known Member

It might be your router that's caching the DNS. Although, Virgin will be caching it too!

11. Slater United Kingdom

Slater Active Member

Besides their rubbish support I've always been happy with the speed on the Telewest/Virgin connection.

Download speeds between 1.6 and 2.0 megabytes per second (20mbit connection)

12. rob

rob Founding Member

I am on eclipse.net.uk , all ok however have had issues but they were BT related.

13. SF

SF Well-Known Member

what not paying your bill rob :)

I also with eclipse and have no problems what so ever although i am paying 50 a month for it.

14. GreyWing

As virgin used to be Telewest / NTL.

Does anyone know if this is now under the Virgin Banner, I shouldn't imagine it is as Branson would put his name on a dead horse if it stayed still long enough.

http://www.ntltelewestbusiness.co.uk/default.aspx

I'd love to stay with cable but not virgin.

Cheers

GW

Last edited: Dec 23, 2007
  15. rob

rob Founding Member

Yes, it does seem a little more expensive. No billing issues you cheeky git :) was due to old cabling or something, BT said it was fine, Eclipse said no it isnt, then we went around the houses with BT 'engineers'.

Got it sorted in about 2 months, Eclipse not to blame but still gave nice discounts / free months.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.