20i Reseller Hosting

Closed thread?

Discussion in 'The Bar' started by dropsnatcher, Jan 18, 2020.

1. Ben Thomas

Ben Thomas Well-Known Member Full Member

I spoke to Nominet earlier this week and apparently they’re looking into it

2. Domain Forum

Acorn Domains Elite Member

articles.co.uk

3. Siusaidh United Kingdom

Siusaidh Active Member

re Andrew and an auction approach:
    I see the process as a means to giving members of the public the same access to dropping domains (at the point they drop and become available) as what is at present a very small group of people running the best software/scripts.

If people want to renew expiring domains they already can, so that's not a factor in any change of process.

I simply see the drop process as:

Stage 1. A searchable list of all names due to drop with option to make the first bid (at which point you nominate your preferred Registrar if you win the auction).

Stage 2. A single webpage for the actual live names up for a 5-day auction, (triggered by the first bid) which at any one time would probably consist of 500+ names at most. Some weeks it would be maybe 200 in any one 5-day period.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2020
  4. Siusaidh United Kingdom

Siusaidh Active Member

I will be at the meeting in Birmingham and I suggest, if some of you are concerned and don't live too far away, some of you may want to attend as well to emphasise the mayhem going on. February 11th.

5. Murray

Murray Well-Known Member

How would you fix sports?

Currently only the best sportsman in the world make the big money; why shouldn't I be able to pick up a tennis racket and get a share of Wimbledon winnings etc

Practice? skill? a life time put into the game? urgh, no thank you elitist sports, just give me the money

• Like Like x 2
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2020
  6. stitchbob

stitchbob Active Member

Its all well and good looking at the process from the bubble of a domainer, but Nominet have to look at the big picture. If they start to do anything other than act as a completely neutral body, they’ll upset the entire industry.

* All their members will be annoyed that they’re cutting out the middleman after charging us membership fees to take our place in the Registry > Registrar > Registrant tier Structure.
    * The dispute process will need to be overhauled or outsourced, as Nominet can’t independently adjudicate themselves.
    * They’ll have to deal with end users who are upset that their lapsed domain is suddenly being auctioned for hundreds of pounds, while their competitor reregistered theirs at normal price. Either that or all dropped domains go to auction and we’re back where we started.
    * They won’t actually fix anything - there will still be a secondary market, and it will still be dominated by resellers. It will just get a lot more expensive for the end user.

Having clear separation between themselves and the resale market is good both for Nominet and the big companies who make up their board. A few grand here and there is peanuts compared to what those companies would lose under a different structure.

As far as access to the market, anybody can become a registrar, buy a script and crack on. Anybody can also fix their own boiler by taking a few courses and getting certified. Most of us still hire a plumber because it’s easier to pay somebody for their expertise than do it yourself.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. Ben Thomas

Ben Thomas Well-Known Member Full Member

I am a fan of analogies. "We" as humans, pay for convenience, because we can

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Siusaidh United Kingdom

Siusaidh Active Member

That is very true, Ben!

9. anthony United Kingdom

anthony Well-Known Member

Most plumbers are rip off merchants who overcharge their customers!

10. Siusaidh United Kingdom

Siusaidh Active Member

I think we can take analogies too far.

Anyway, while the system is the way it is, I respect the skill, work and tenacity of this name-catching community, especially in the face of what looks like some serious collusion and rule-breaking by what might be called a cartel gaming the system. I sent my views to Nick W-S yesterday, because the way the system has been played like this is appalling.

While the system is the way it is, I'm grateful for people who have been catching names for me in a very challenging week. Got 2 this morning. I'm particularly grateful to Aaron and Dbcatch for getting Worship.uk for me. As some of you know, I deal in religious domains more than anything else, and this domain was my primary target. I will be developing it, along with Christ.uk that Total caught for me last July.

I have 30 more targets this month. I rely on what Ben calls the 'convenience' of name catchers, and I pay for that. I personally think the system should be opened up, but while it works the way it does, it's pretty obvious from this week's shenanigans that a lot of people here are 'the good guys'.

11. anthony United Kingdom

anthony Well-Known Member

I would mirror all you say there, simply as this approach is the current 'best option' for non-members. However, like you, I would like to see new options developed by Nominet for the wider public interest.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Siusaidh United Kingdom

Siusaidh Active Member

I was a winner last night, but lots of my targets were nuked by Tool Domains who seemed to be having a storming night.

It would be nice to think that process could be improved before the deluge of dropping .uk domains in June. But I won't hold my breath.

13. Aaron Clifford

Aaron Clifford Well-Known Member

Glad I could be of assistance!

14. webber

webber Active Member

Yeah, Aaron caught me a great domain last night as we well – sprig.uk o_O
    Must have been half asleep when I booked that one... I probably read it as spring
    If anyone wants it I will sell it for the fee I have to pay Aaron

• Informative Informative x 1
  15. Siusaidh United Kingdom

Siusaidh Active Member

Hi Ciprian, was that you who got thegallery.uk ?
    If so, it will make a nice site for new art talent.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. webber

webber Active Member

Yes, I got a few good ones today including inc.uk (through Untagged.co.uk)

17. Whois-Search United Kingdom

Whois-Search Well-Known Member

Bulgarian tags are still active ...

Catching high value traffic names now:

v-a.uk 2020-01-23 EDOMS
    grassrootsfootball.co.uk 2020-01-23 HKOSTOVA
    dover-kent.co.uk 2020-01-22 TOOLDOMAINS
    stern.uk 2020-01-21 MIXACTIVITY
    mhn.uk 2020-01-21 NET-IN
    mgv.uk 2020-01-21 APAVLOVA

Nominet have done nothing about it...

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. wizard

wizard Well-Known Member

Shocking really when they know whats going on and won't do anything.....

19. SecNam

SecNam Moderator Staff Member

Are you expecting them to do something?

20. Murray

Murray Well-Known Member

I think Denys made a good point in his blog post, If they aren't going to do anything just remove it from the rules

21. Whois-Search United Kingdom

Whois-Search Well-Known Member

Have you seen “The File” ?

https://seo.domains/thefile.xls